Trail Conditions: Good
Snow Cover: Hard base of ice holding trails - Need more snow
Date of Report: February 12, 2018
February 12, 2018 – 6:45am
TRAILS ON AVERAGE GOOD
FAIR THROUGH TOWN
Chilly clear morning in Eagle River. 2 below zero at 6:45am. Trails are still on average GOOD but really need some fresh SNOW. So start Doin’ the SNOW DANCE! Today the high will be around 12 degrees. Even with the evil sun out once again trails are holding. In town trails are at best FAIR.
There is thick icy base under the SNOW. This hard base is why the trails are holding. Still loose SNOW over the icy base but it is fatigued & icy too. Another reason to Do the Snow Dance. Riding you will notice the back end of your sled slipping around. Might even notice the track slipping. So slow down to be safe. Corners everywhere are icy. Some covered with SNOW. Others blown out with high berms so slow down so you can stay on your side. Actually trails have icy stretches even on the straight aways. Stay on the right side always. Not only on the corners but straight aways & hills.
It is amazing the great job the Groomer Drivers are doing with the trails. Spoke to lots of them who can’t believe that the trails are still holding. Did not get far out myself so can’t report on far in the woods trails. Here is what was groomed last night:
- In Town trails
- 3S to Three Lakes connect
- 70W/13S – hill on 70W is extra icy
- 7 aka Paintball Field
- 10W/13N to include Wisconsin River Bridge
- One & two way trails to Conover connect by Bauer’s Dam
- 17N to 1N
Here are a few continuing reminders on the trails:
• Trail 1N logging operation continues in the section between the Town of Washington Town Hall & Eagle Lake. Right now there are logs in piles along sections of the trail. With the log piles and icy grainy conditions in that section it would be good to slow down. Very icy corners. Minimal grooming due to the logging operation.
Catfish Lake Loop & Eagle Lake Trails are marked with orange easy to see reflective barrels. Please stay by the barrels to be safe. Have not ridden out there myself in a while. Spoke to several who had & there is no surface slush even with the sun as of yesterday afternoon. Reminder that the Catfish Lake Trail that ran from Braywood to Lumpy’s is not open. Please do not trespass on private land.
Yes the Ice Castle is still up as of this morning! Should this change I will do another update. In the mean time if you are riding zip on over to the “grade” to check out the 2018 Eagle River Area Fire Department ICE CASTLE!!!! Located adjacent to the downtown “grade” trail by the Historic Railroad Grade. Ice benches as part of the Castle let you take photos of your group. Check out this link Eagle River Ice Castle to check out a video of the Ice Castle building.
Celebrate Snowmobiling Snow Show is set for this Sunday, February 18 at the Derby Track Expo Hall. From 11am-4pm. Admission if FREE!
Think overcast & Keep Dancin’!
See ya on the trails this weekend!
PROUD GROOMERS OF THE SNOWMOBILE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD® – Eagle River
Phone Trail Updates 715.479.5185
Sno-Eagles Snowmobile Club
News and Reports:
Every Wednesday & Thursday throughout the snowmobiling season – Sno-Eagles Guided Trail Ride. Meet at the Historic Railroad Depot on Trail 13 in town at 9am. All are welcome. Trail conditions permitting.
- Feb 15 Sno-Eagles General Member Meeting. 7pm – Eddie B’s White Spruce
- Feb 18 – Celebrate Wisconsin Snowmobiling Snow Show. 11am-4pm FREE admission Open to public – Derby Track Expo Hall
- Feb 19 – Celebrate Wisconsin Snowmobiling VIP Dignitary Ride – Volunteers needed. Call Eagle River Chamber at 715.479.6400
- Feb 24 – Ride With Pride drawing – TrackSide – 12 noon
- Feb 24 – Trail Ride following Ride With Pride drawing
- Feb 24 – Saturday Night Out (SNO) – Silver Leaf – 5:30pm
Handy Snowmobile Links
Wisconsin Snowmobile Registration
Discount Trail Pass for Snowmobile Club Members – $10
Standard Wisconsin Trail Pass – $30
Out of State Trail Pass – $50
Vilas County Map It Trail App